Over the past fifteen years the study of Bollywood or popular Hindi cinema has seen a rise in the number of book-length studies focusing on varying aspects of the cinematic form and related popular cultures. Studies have included analysing key films, to exploring it as a global phenomenon or to consider it as a type of soft power within Indian state and economic discourses. Yet knowledge of Bollywood’s historical rise and geographical presence throughout the world is still limited. To this end, the Euro-Bollywood special interest group focuses on Bollywood in Europe and Europe in Bollywood. It aims to bring together for the first time pan-European and internationally based scholars and cultural partners to explore the histories, networks and filmic representations pertaining to Euro-Bollywood (i.e. ideas of Europe in Bollywood and Bollywood in Europe), to explore and create new knowledge and understanding, including conceptual frameworks through the interaction of different areas across film, media, cultural studies and related disciplines.
The Network aims to
- Publish online abstracts and summary of paper presentations of all the Euro-Bollywood conference proceedings on this website
- Following each BAFTSS annual conference, BAFTSS Euro-Bollywood SIG presentations and papers will be revised for publication in special guest-edited issues, or standalone articles of selected academic journals, (e.g. South Asian Popular Culture)
- Develop channels of communication with other special interest groups, individuals or organisations around the world
- A Twitter account has been created to share relevant news and promote each others’ work
- With the support of the network members develop a critical bibliography to add to this website
* This is a not-for-profit academic research network website *